Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Patio Garden

This week has been pretty quiet, which is nice. We spent Saturday doing some organizing and cleaning projects upstairs. I found an old movie theater that shows 2nd run movies for $1-3. We've already gone twice. Not the fanciest place but it's still a fun date night. My container garden is doing well except something kept eating my strawberries, I suspect birds, so I covered them with the only thing I could find--blue baskets. The first two strawberries were destroyed but this morning I picked off our first edible strawberry, seems the blue baskets are working. It's the first produce from our garden. I'll have to share half the strawberry with Lance, hope we have more soon. I have a tomato that's been growing for about a month. It's a few inches in diameter but refuses to turn red. I guess tomatoes are just slow like that. I've also planted squash, cucumber, and just this week added cantaloupe and honeydew melons. Hopefully the lawn service doesn't accidentally mow the vines, I keep pulling the containers further back onto patio to avoid the mower. Not many plans for this week, though I'd like to get to the beach on Saturday if weather (and Lance) permits.