Lance had to work this weekend, which meant we didn't get out much, but I've been having a great time in our kitchen! It's fun to finally be able to use all those wedding presents after having our kitchen stuff in storage for 2 years. I'll post a couple of the fun recipes I've found. Lance loves using our pressure cooker and at his suggestion I checked out a pressure cooker cook book from the library. We tried a recipe for Chicken Penne with Walnut Pesto Sauce. I liked it and Lance actually ate it, though he claims he hates pasta. Before we go any further let me just warn you that most of this blog entry consists of 3 recipes I liked and wanted to share. I put the recipes in italics so you can skip them if you want and read what I've written.
Here's the recipe for those interested in the Chicken Penne with Walnut Pesto Sauce:
Step one: The walnut pesto sauce
1/2 cup of walnuts
2 cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano chees
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/3 cup olive oil
Spread the walnuts in a small skillet and heat over medium-low to medium heat, stirring often until the walnuts are lightly toasted. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Combine the walnuts, basil, cheese, and garlic in a food processor. Process until the mixture is finely chopped. With the processor running, add the olive oil in a thin, steady stream until blended and smooth.
Step two: the chicken and pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 onion, chopped
3 cups uncooked penne
Heat the oil in the pressure cooker over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces, cook until golden brown on both side, and set aside. Add the onions to the cooker and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the pasta and enough water to cover, pushing the ingredients below the surface. Place the chicken pieces on top and lock the lid in place. Bring to 15psi over high heat, immediately reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting to stabilize and maintain that pressure, and cook for 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and use the natural release method to depressurize. Carefully open the lid after the pressure drops. Transfer the chicken pieces to a carving board and cut into bite-size pieces. Thoroughly drain the pasta and return to the cooker, then add the chicken pieces and sauce. Heat slowly until hot and bubbly. Serve immediately. Serves 4 generously.
I found a great pressure cooker website http://missvickie.com/ . It has cook times, some recipes and great tips. I also had fun making home made pizza and some brownies today. I got the pizza crust recipe from online and used my bread machine to make the dough. Then I rolled it into 4 personal size pizza's and used the mini pizza stones we got for Christmas (thanks Josh!) to cook it. For the sauce I cheated and took a can of tomato sauce, added some brown sugar, herbs, garlic and olive oil. Topped everything with some cheese and it turned out really yummy. Here's the ingredients for the pizza dough (if you don't use bread machine yeast use 2 tablespoons active dry yeast):
And lastly the brownies. I used BYU's recipe for mint brownies but didn't make any frosting for them. They're very thick and cakey. Good but I'm thinking about making at least some chocolate frosting. I'll post the whole recipe for those interested. I'm sure some of you won't read this post, but I also know there's some of you out there who will tries these out. If anyone out there (and I know you're out there!) has some killer recipes I should try then you should email them to me.
MAKES ONE 9-BY-13 PAN OF BROWNIES.
PREP AND COOK: 90 min. COOL: 1 hr.
1 c. margarine
1/2 c. cocoa
2 Tbsp. honey
4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. flour
1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. chopped walnuts
12 oz. chocolate icing (Use your own icing recipe or purchase some chocolate frosting. You can also search the Internet for chocolate icing recipes.)
MINT ICING
5 Tbsp. margarine
dash of salt
3 Tbsp. milk
1 Tbsp. light corn syrup
2 1/3 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. mint extract
1-2 drops green food coloring
1. Melt margarine and mix in cocoa. Allow to cool. Add honey, eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well. Add nuts. Pour batter into a greased 9-by-13 baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool.
2. Prepare mint icing: Soften margarine. Add salt, corn syrup, and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and fluffy. Add mint extract and food coloring. Mix. Add milk gradually until the consistency is a little thinner than cake frosting.
3. Spread mint icing over brownies. Place brownies in the freezer for a short time to stiffen the icing. Remove from the freezer and carefully add a layer of chocolate icing.
Here's the recipe for those interested in the Chicken Penne with Walnut Pesto Sauce:
Step one: The walnut pesto sauce
1/2 cup of walnuts
2 cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano chees
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/3 cup olive oil
Spread the walnuts in a small skillet and heat over medium-low to medium heat, stirring often until the walnuts are lightly toasted. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Combine the walnuts, basil, cheese, and garlic in a food processor. Process until the mixture is finely chopped. With the processor running, add the olive oil in a thin, steady stream until blended and smooth.
Step two: the chicken and pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 onion, chopped
3 cups uncooked penne
Heat the oil in the pressure cooker over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces, cook until golden brown on both side, and set aside. Add the onions to the cooker and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the pasta and enough water to cover, pushing the ingredients below the surface. Place the chicken pieces on top and lock the lid in place. Bring to 15psi over high heat, immediately reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting to stabilize and maintain that pressure, and cook for 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and use the natural release method to depressurize. Carefully open the lid after the pressure drops. Transfer the chicken pieces to a carving board and cut into bite-size pieces. Thoroughly drain the pasta and return to the cooker, then add the chicken pieces and sauce. Heat slowly until hot and bubbly. Serve immediately. Serves 4 generously.
I found a great pressure cooker website http://missvickie.com/ . It has cook times, some recipes and great tips. I also had fun making home made pizza and some brownies today. I got the pizza crust recipe from online and used my bread machine to make the dough. Then I rolled it into 4 personal size pizza's and used the mini pizza stones we got for Christmas (thanks Josh!) to cook it. For the sauce I cheated and took a can of tomato sauce, added some brown sugar, herbs, garlic and olive oil. Topped everything with some cheese and it turned out really yummy. Here's the ingredients for the pizza dough (if you don't use bread machine yeast use 2 tablespoons active dry yeast):
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons bread machine yeast
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
And lastly the brownies. I used BYU's recipe for mint brownies but didn't make any frosting for them. They're very thick and cakey. Good but I'm thinking about making at least some chocolate frosting. I'll post the whole recipe for those interested. I'm sure some of you won't read this post, but I also know there's some of you out there who will tries these out. If anyone out there (and I know you're out there!) has some killer recipes I should try then you should email them to me.
MAKES ONE 9-BY-13 PAN OF BROWNIES.
PREP AND COOK: 90 min. COOL: 1 hr.
1 c. margarine
1/2 c. cocoa
2 Tbsp. honey
4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. flour
1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. chopped walnuts
12 oz. chocolate icing (Use your own icing recipe or purchase some chocolate frosting. You can also search the Internet for chocolate icing recipes.)
MINT ICING
5 Tbsp. margarine
dash of salt
3 Tbsp. milk
1 Tbsp. light corn syrup
2 1/3 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. mint extract
1-2 drops green food coloring
1. Melt margarine and mix in cocoa. Allow to cool. Add honey, eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well. Add nuts. Pour batter into a greased 9-by-13 baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool.
2. Prepare mint icing: Soften margarine. Add salt, corn syrup, and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and fluffy. Add mint extract and food coloring. Mix. Add milk gradually until the consistency is a little thinner than cake frosting.
3. Spread mint icing over brownies. Place brownies in the freezer for a short time to stiffen the icing. Remove from the freezer and carefully add a layer of chocolate icing.